Monday 28 July 2014

Review of 'I Love You But I Must Drive Off This Cliff Now' by Got a Girl


I Love You But I Must Drive Off This Cliff Now is a sixties-style French-pop-flavoured album featuring that girl from 'Scott Pilgrim vs The World' (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) on vocals and that guy who produced the first Gorillaz album (Dan the Automator) on instrumentation. 


With its noir-romantic lyrics and epic string sections, its clear these two were aiming for that classy Bond movie feel. The first track, 'Did We Live Too Fast', certainly succeeds at imitating this sound and had me genuinely excited for the rest of the album.

Sadly, this opener remains the climax of the album, the other tracks coming across more like scant accompaniments to a perfume ad. They're charming but not very eventful or creative and by the middle of this album I was starting to nod off. By the eleventh track, 'Da Da Da', it seems even the duo themselves begin to lose interest in the album, Winstead boldly declaring that "this song is shit!" It helps when a musician likes their own music...


TRACK TASTER: